1. Tabatabaei F. A review on implications of tissue engineering in different fields of dentistry. J Dent Med. 2012 Mar;25(1):6-13.
2. Langer R, Vacanti JP, Vacanti CA, Atala A, Freed LE, Vunjak-Novakovic G. Tissue engineering: biomedical applications. Tissue Eng. 1995 Sum; 1 (2):151-61.
3. Tabatabaei FS, Motamedian SR, Gholipour F, Khosraviani K, Khojasteh A. Craniomaxillofacial bone engineering by scaffolds loaded with stem cells: A systematic review. J Dent Sch. 2012 Jul; 30(2):115-131.
4. Diederichs S, Böhm S, Peterbauer A, Kasper C, Scheper T, Van Griensven M. Application of different strain regimes in two-dimensional and three-dimensional adipose tissue-derived stem cell cultures induces osteogenesis: Implications for bone tissue engineering. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2010 Sep;94(3):927-36.
5. Friedl G, Schmidt H, Rehak I, Kostner G, Schauenstein K, Windhager R. Undifferentiated human mesenchymal stem cells (hmscs) are highly sensitive to mechanical strain Transcriptionally controlled early osteo-chondrogenic response in vitro. Osteoarth Cartil. 2007 Nov; 15(11):1293-300.
6. Athanasiou K, Zhu CF, Lanctot D, Agrawal C, Wang X. Fundamentals of biomechanics in tissue engineering of bone. Tissue Eng. 2000 Aug; 6(4): 361-81.
7. Chen YJ, Huang CH, Lee IC, Lee YT, Chen MH, Young TH. Effects of cyclic mechanical stretching on the mrna expression of tendon/ ligament-related and osteoblast-specific genes in human mesenchymal stem cells. Connect Tissue Res. 2008 Jan;49(1):7-14.
8. Jones D. Influence of mechanical effects on cells. Biophysical basis. Fundamentals of tissue engineering and regenerative medicine. 2009:83-88.
9. Leblanc AD, Schneider VS, Evans HJ, Engelbretson DA, Krebs JM. Bone mineral loss and recovery after 17 weeks of bed rest. J Bone Min Res. 1990 Aug;5(8):843-50.
10. Ingber DE. Mechanical control of tissue morphogenesis during embryological development. Int J Dev Biol. 2006; 50(2-3):255-66.
11. Altman GH, Horan RL, Martin I, Farhadi J, Stark P, Volloch V, et al. Cell differentiation by mechanical stress. FASEB J. 2002 Feb; 16(2):270-2.
12. Davisson T, Kunig S, Chen A, Sah R, Ratcliffe A. Static and dynamic compression modulate matrix metabolism in tissue engineered cartilage. J Orthop Res. 2002 Jul; 20(4):842-8.
13. Kim BS, Mooney DJ. Scaffolds for engineering smooth muscle under cyclic mechanical strain conditions. J Biomech Eng. 2000 Jun;122(3):210-15.
14. Tang K, Dang G, Guo Z. The effects of intermittent hydromechanics on the differentiation and function of bone marrow stromal derived-osteoblasts in porous calcium phosphate ceramics. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2002 May; 82(10):665-8.
15. Yang Y, Magnay JL, Cooling L, El Haj AJ. Development of a "Mechano-active" Scaffold for tissue engineering. Biomat. 2002 May; 23(10): 2119-26.
16. Zimmermann WH, Schneiderbanger K, Schu-bert P, Didié M, Münzel F, Heubach JF, et al. Tissue engineering of a differentiated cardiac muscle construct. Circ Res. 2002 Feb;90(2):223-30.
17. Ghazanfari S, Tafazzoli-Shadpour M, Shokrgozar MA. Effects of cyclic stretch on proliferation of mesenchymal stem cells and their differentiation to smooth muscle cells. Bi-ochem Biophys Res Com. 2009 Oct;388(3):601-5.
18. Liu L, Yu B, Chen J, Tang Z, Zong C, Shen D, et al. Different effects of intermittent and continuous fluid shear stresses on osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2012 Mar; 11(3-4): 391-401.
19. Sakaguchi RL, Powers JM. Craig's restorative dental materials. 13ed: St Louis: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. Translated by Tabatabaei FS in Persian. Noordanesh. 1391.
20. Leong WS, Wu SC, Pal M, Tay CY, Yu H, Li H, et al. Cyclic tensile loading regulates human mesenchymal stem cell differentiation into neuron-like phenotype. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2012 Dec;6(suppl 3):s68-79.
21. Tabatabaei F, Vahid Dastjerdi E, Noje Dehiyan H, Haghighipoor N, Jandaghi Z, Moayyer F. Effects of equiaxial and uniaxial tensile strain generated by orthodontic forces on human mesenchymal stem cells. J Dent Sch. 2012 Mar; 29 (5):373-380.
22. Kreja L, Liedert A, Schlenker H, Brenner RE, Fiedler J, Friemert B, et al. Effects of mechanical strain on human mesenchymal stem cells and ligament fibroblasts in a textured poly (L-lactide) scaffold for ligament tissue engineering. J Mat Sci Mat Med. 2012 Oct; 23(10):2575-82.
23. Haghighipour N, Heidarian S, Shokrgozar MA, Amirizadeh N. Differential effects of cyclic uniaxial stretch on human mesenchymal stem cell into skeletal muscle cell. Cell Biol Int. 2012 Jul; 36 (7):669-75.
24. Zhang P, Wu Y, Jiang Z, Jiang L, Fang B. Osteogenic response of mesenchymal stem cells to continuous mechanical strain is dependent on Erk1/2-Runx2 signaling. Int J Mol Med. 2012 Jun; 29(6):1083-9.
25. Glossop JR, Cartmell SH. Tensile strain and magnetic particle force application do not induce MAP3K8 and IL-1B differential gene expression in a similar manner to fluid shear stress in human mesenchymal stem cells. J Tis-sue Eng Reg Med. 2010 Oct;4(7):577-9.
26. Cai X, Zhang Y, Yang X, Grottkau BE, Lin Y. Uniaxial cyclic tensile stretch inhibits osteogenic and odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells. J Tissue Eng Reg Med. 2011 May; 5(5):347-53.
27. Friedl G, Windhager R, Schmidt H, Aigner R. The osteogenic response of undifferentiated human mesenchymal stem cells (hmscs) to mechanical strain is inversely related to body mass index of the donor. Acta Orthop. 2009 Aug; 80(4):491-8.
28. Huang CH, Chen MH, Young TH, Jeng JH, Chen YJ. Interactive effects of mechanical stretching and extracellular matrix proteins on initiating osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. J Cell Biochem. 2009 Dec; 15;108(6):1263-73.
29. Hanson AD, Marvel SW, Bernacki SH, Banes AJ, van Aalst J, Loboa EG. Osteogenic effects of rest inserted and continuous cyclic tensile strain on hASC lines with disparate osteodifferentiation capabilities. Ann Biomed Eng. 2009 May; 37(5): 955-65.
30. Han MJ, Seo YK, Yoon HH, Song KY, Park JK. Effect of mechanical tension on the human dental pulp cells. Biotechnol. Bioprocess Eng. 2008 Aug;13(4):410-17.
31. McMahon LA, Reid AJ, Campbell VA, Prendergast PJ. Regulatory effects of mechanical strain on the chondrogenic differentiation of mscs in a collagen-gag scaffold: Experimental and computational analysis. Ann Biomed Eng. 2008 Feb; 36(2):185-94.
32. Ward JDF, Salasznyk RM, Klees RF, Backiel J, Agius P, Bennett K, et al. Mechanical strain enhances extracellular matrix-induced gene focusing and promotes osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells through an extracellular-related kinase-dependent pathway. Stem Cells Dev. 2007 Jun;16(3):467-80.
33. Sumanasinghe RD, Bernacki SH, Loboa EG. Osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells in collagen matrices: Effect of uniaxial cyclic tensile strain on bone morphogenetic protein (BMP-2) mRNA expression. Tissue Eng. 2006 Dec;12(12):3459-65.
34. Wiesmann A, Buhring H, Mentrup C, Wiesmann HP. Decreased CD90 expression in human mesenchymal stem cells by applying mechanical stimulation. Head Face Med. 2006 Mar 31;2:8.
35. Lee WCC, Maul TM, Vorp DA, Rubin J, Marra KG. Effects of uniaxial cyclic strain on adipose-derived stem cell morphology, proliferation, and differentiation. Biomech Model Mechanobiol. 2007 Jul;6(4):265-73.
36. Kang MN, Yoon HH, Seo YK, Park JK. Effect of mechanical stimulation on the differentiation of cord stem cells. Connect Tis-sue Res. 2012 Apr; 53 (2):149-59.
37. Kimelman-Bleich N, Seliktar D, Kallai I, Helm GA, Gazit Z, Gazit D, et al. The effect of ex vivo dynamic loading on the osteogenic differentiation of genetically engineered mesenchymal stem cell model. J Tissue Eng Re-gen Med. 2011 May; 5(5): 384-93.
38. Haasper C, Drescher M, Hesse E, Krettek C, Zeichen J, Jagodzinski M. Osteogenic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells (hBMSC) by cyclic longitudinal mechanical strain and dexamethasone. Z Orthop Unfall. 2008 Sep-Oct; 146 (5):636-43.
39. Simmons CA, Matlis S, Thornton AJ, Chen S, Wang CY, Mooney DJ. Cyclic strain enhances matrix mineralization by adult human mesenchymal stem cells via the extracellular signal-regulated kinase (ERK1/2) signaling pathway. J Biomech. 2003 Aug;36(8):1087-96.
40. Sen B, Xie Z, Case N, Ma M, Rubin C, Rubin J. Mechanical strain inhibits adipogenesis in mesenchymal stem cells by stimulating a durable beta-catenin signal. Endocrinology. 2008 Dec; 149 (12):6065-75.
41. Park JS, Chu JSF, Cheng C, Chen F, Chen D, Li S. Differential effects of equiaxial and uniaxial strain on mesenchymal stem cells. Bio-technol Bioeng. 2004 Nov 5; 88(3):359-68.
42. Michalopoulos E, Knight RL, Korossis S, Kearney JN, Fisher J, Ingham E. Development of methods for studying the differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells under cyclic compressive strain. Tissue Eng Part C Methods. 2012 Apr; 18 (4):252-62.
43. Bian L, Zhai DY, Zhang EC, Mauck RL, Burdick JA. Dynamic compressive loading enhances cartilage matrix synthesis and distribution and suppresses hypertrophy in hmsc-laden hyaluronic acid hydrogels. Tissue Eng Part A. 2012 Apr;18(7-8):715-24.
44. Schatti O, Grad S, Goldhahn J, Salzmann G, Li Z, Alini M, et al. A combination of shear and dynamic compression leads to mechanically induced chondrogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells. Eur Cell Mater. 2011 Oct 11; 22: 214-25.
45. Sittichokechaiwut A, Edwards J, Scutt A, Reilly G. Short bouts of mechanical loading are as effective as dexamethasone at inducing matrix production by human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Eur Cell Mater. 2010 Jul; 21;20:45-57.
46. Li Z, Kupcsik L, Yao SJ, Alini M, Stoddart MJ. Mechanical load modulates chondrogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells through the TGF-beta pathway. J Cell Mol Med. 2010 Jun; 14(6A): 1338-46.
47. Kisiday JD, Frisbie DD, McIlwraith CW, Grodzinsky AJ. Dynamic compression stimulates proteoglycan synthesis by mesenchymal stem cells in the absence of chondrogenic cytokines. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Oct;15(10):2817-24.
48. Pelaez D, Charles Huang CY, Cheung HS. Cyclic compression maintains viability and induces chondrogenesis of human mesenchymal stem cells in fibrin gel scaffolds. Stem Cells Dev. 2009 Jan-Feb;18(1):93-102.
49. Campbell JJ, Lee DA, Bader DL. Dynamic compressive strain influences chondrogenic gene expression in human mesenchymal stem cells. Biorheology. 2006 Sep;43(3-4):455-70.
50. Mauney J, Sjostorm S, Blumberg J, Horan R, O'Leary J, Vunjak-Novakovic G, etal. Mechanical stimulation promotes osteogenic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells on 3-D partially demineralized bone scaffolds in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int. 2004 May; 74(5):458-68.
51. Yu V, Damek-Poprawa M, Nicoll S, Akintoye S. Dynamic hydrostatic pressure promotes differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells. Biochem Biophys Res Com. 2009 Sep; 386(4): 661-5.
52. Angele P, Schumann D, Angele M, Kinner B, Englert C, Hente R, et al. Cyclic, mechanical compression enhances chondrogenesis of mesenchymal progenitor cells in tissue engineering scaffolds. Biorheology. 2004 Jul; 41(3-4):335-46.
53. Wagner DR, Lindsey DP, Li KW, Tummala P, Chandran SE, Smith RL, et al. Hydrostatic pressure enhances chondrogenic differentiation of human bone marrow stromal cells in osteochondrogenic medium. Ann Biomed Eng. 2008 May;36(5):813-20.
54. Ogawa R, Mizuno S, Murphy GF, Orgill DP. The effect of hydrostatic pressure on three-dimensional chondroinduction of human adipose-derived stem cells. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Oct; 15(10):2937-45.
55. Finger AR, Sargent CY, Dulaney KO, Bernacki SH, Loboa EG. Differential effects on messenger ribonucleic acid expression by bone marrow-derived human mesenchymal stem cells seeded in agarose constructs due to ramped and steady applications of cyclic hydrostatic pressure. Tissue Eng. 2007 Jun;13(6):1151-8.
56. Yourek G, McCormick SM, Mao JJ, Reilly GC. Shear stress induces osteogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells. Regen Med. 2010 Sept;5(5):713-24.
57. Zhang L, Li Y, Zhang C, Zhang Y, Yang X. Differentiation of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells co-cultured with endothelial cells under shear stress. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2009 Feb;26(1):85-8.
58. Knippenberg M, Helder MN, Zandieh Doulabi B, Semeins CM, Wuisman PIJM, Klein-Nulend J. Adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells acquire bone cell-like responsiveness to fluid shear stress on osteogenic stimulation. Tissue Eng. 2005 Nov-Dec;11(11-12):1780-8.
59. Henrionnet C, Wang Y, Roeder E, Gambier N, Galois L, Mainard D, et al. Effect of dynamic loading on MSCs chondrogenic differentiation in 3-D alginate culture. Biomed Mat Eng. 2012 Jul; 22(4):209-18.
60. Li Z, Yao SJ, Alini M, Stoddart MJ. Chondrogenesis of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in fibrin-polyurethane composites is modulated by frequency and amplitude of dynamic compression and shear stress. Tissue Eng Part A. 2009 Jul;15(7):1729-37.
61. Ozcivici E, Luu YK, Adler B, Qin YX, Rubin J, Judex S, et al. Mechanical signals as anabolic agents in bone. Nat Rev Rheumatol. 2010 Jan; 6 (1):50-9.
62. Brown TD. Techniques for mechanical stimulation of cells in vitro: A review. J Bio-mech. 2000 Jan;33(1):3-14.
63. Yamamoto E, Iwanaga W, Miyazaki H, Hayashi K. Effects of static stress on the mechanical properties of cultured collagen fascicles from the rabbit patellar tendon. J Bio-mech Eng. 2002 Feb;124(1):85-93.
64. Tabatabaei FS, Ai J, Jafarzadeh Kashi TS, Khazaei M, Kajbafzadeh AM, Ghanbari Z. Ef-fect of dentine matrix proteins on human en-dometrial adult stem-like cells: In vitro regen-eration of odontoblasts cells. Arch Oral Biol. 2013 Jul; 58(7):871-9.
65. Ruoslahti E, Pierschbacher MD. New perspectives in cell adhesion: RGD and integrins. Science 1987 Oct; 23; 238(4826):491-7.
66. Schakenraad J, Busscher H, Wildevuur CRH, Arends J. The influence of substratum surface free energy on growth and spreading of human fibroblasts in the presence and absence of serum proteins. J Biomed Mat Res. 1986 Jul-Aug; 20(6): 773-84.
67. Ye Q, Zund G, Jockenhoevel S, Schoeberlein A, Hoerstrup SP, Grunenfelder J, et al. Scaffold precoating with human autologous extracellular matrix for improved cell attachment in cardiovascular tissue engineering. ASAIO J. 2000 Nov-Dec;46(6):730-3.
68. Tabatabaei FS, Dastjerdi MV, Jazayeri M, Haghighipour N, Dastjerdie EV, Bordbar M. Comparison of osteogenic medium and uniaxial strain on differentiation of endometrial stem cells. Dent Res J. 2013 March; 10(2):190-196.